Trailers are used extensively both in and outside work. You might be transporting a vital piece of agricultural equipment or simply hitching a car to a caravan. Whatever your needs, handling a trailer requires a high level of skill. Our course will teach you that skill. You’ll learn through a mix of theory and practical sessions. We’ll get you up to speed with a look at the key legal issues when using trailers. You’ll also be guided through the common causes of accidents and all the safety checks that can help prevent them.
Learn to handle trailers expertly – for work or leisure with our dedicated course. The practical side to the course involves a full rundown of coupling and uncoupling procedures. You’ll be taught how to load and unload and also about reversing and performing tight turns with trailers. You’ll need to hold the appropriate current driving licence – which you must be able to show on the day – to be eligible for this course.
Trailer Handling Training Course Overview
- Legal requirements
- Causes of accidents
- Equipment introduction/safety checks
- Couple/uncouple procedures
- Hitches and towing combinations
- Nose weight measurement
- Loading/unloading criteria
- Manoeuvring the equipment
- Course paperwork/feedback.
- Understand the legal requirements when handling trailers
- Carry out equipment safety checks
- Understand the main causes of accidents and what can be done to avoid them
- Identify the key components of a trailer
- Understand the functions of the key components of a trailer
- Couple/uncouple the trailer from a vehicle
- Reverse the vehicle and trailer (unit) to the left and right
- Complete tight forward turns to the left and right
- Practise a controlled braking exercise from 20mph (32km/h)
- Understand loading/unloading criteria
- Measure the nose weight of a trailer.
Trailer Handling Training Courses
For more information on our trailer handling driver training or to discuss any other trailer training courses please contact us using the form below