Becoming proficient in operating 180° excavator machinery is an essential and valued operator’s skill for any contract, large or small. This course will equip you with the knowledge and confidence to operate the machine safely, protecting both you and those around you.
This training course has been developed to help you understand how to operate a 180˚ excavator safely. The amount of instruction you require will depend largely upon your previous experience and sessions will be adapted to meet your needs. Course duration will depend on experience and will be from one to four days. This heavy machinery training course will consist of theory and practical sessions, followed by assessment.
This course offers a range of certificate options depending on your needs:
- Below five tonnes
- Above five tonnes
- Excavators used as cranes.
180° Excavator Operator Training Overview
- Plant Safety and the Law
- Machine Knowledge and Preparation for Work
- Travelling and Manoeuvring the Machine
- Machine Operation
- Excavators used as cranes (optional)
- Theory Assessment
- Practical Assessment.
- Describe the key requirements of health, safety and environmental legislation
- Interpret and comply with drawings, specifications, schedules, risk assessments and manufacturers’ operator’s manuals (MOMs) related to the plant or machinery operations and the work to be carried out
- Identify the hazards associated with plant or machinery operations and put the appropriate control measures in place
- Identify and explain the purpose of machine components and operator controls
- Conduct all operational and pre-start checks
- Prepare the excavator for site and highway travel
- Drive the excavator safely over varying types of terrain
- Operate the excavator safely in restricted spaces
- Prepare the backhoe and bucket to excavate
- Demonstrate how to safely attach and remove different types of buckets and ancillaries
- Select the appropriate backhoe/loader techniques to perform essential tasks
- Operate plant and machinery to excavate ground and loose materials to given work instructions
- Perform excavation activities in a variety of soil types
- Demonstrate how to safely place spoil into transporting vehicles
- Demonstrate how to grade, spread and level different types of material
- Demonstrate how to lift basic suspended loads with backhoe in set configuration(s)
- Shut down and secure plant or machinery
- Describe the procedures used for loading and unloading excavators when transported on a trailer.
180° Excavator Driver Training Courses
For more information on our training courses for 180° excavator drivers or to discuss any other plant or heavy machinery training courses please contact us using the form below.
Related Plant & Heavy Machinery Training Courses
- Skid Steer Loader Driver Training Course
- Forward Tipping Dumper Training Courses
- Dump Truck Driver Training Courses
- 360° Wheeled Excavator Training Courses
- 360° Tracked Excavator Training Courses
- 180° Excavator Operator Training Courses