Nutrition for the Elderly in Care
This is a 1-day participative course aimed at raising the awareness of staff to the nutritional requirements of the elderly in care.
- Basic principals of nutrition
- Applying the basic principals to real life
- What does it mean on a plate?
- Getting the right balance.
- What is the right balance for the elderly.
- Potential problems to be encountered when feeding the elderly
- Malnutrition – what causes it/looking at some potential causes.
- Illness/disease, ill fitting teeth, constipation.
- Time for participants to add their own comments.
- Medical conditions to consider and appropriate strategies for the elderly
- Under nutrition.
- Overweight/obesity and associated medical/care problems.
- Heart disease.
- Bowel problems.
- Osteoporosis (in outline).
- Specialist areas that staff should be aware of
- Supplementary feeding.
- Coeliac disease.
- Tube (enteral) feediing.
- Renal die