All employees working within the company.
The aim of the course is to give employees a basic understanding of fire and fire safety. At the end of the course we offer a practical “hands on” session where trainees will be able to use an extinguisher and understand how it works. There will also be a demonstration (if possible) as to what happens when water is applied to a chip pan fire.
- Triangle of combustion – what is required for a fire to take place.
- Identifying sources of ignition, fuel and oxygen.
- Ways in which fire can spread – Conduction, convection and radiation.
- Methods of extinguishing fire – Cooling, starving and smothering.
- Classes of fire – class A, B, C, D, and electrical.
- Common causes of fire.
- Fire detection/warning systems – brief outline on detectors and alarm systems.
- Means of escape from buildings – escape routes and fire doors etc.
- Providing for disabled people.
- Good housekeeping – reducing fire risks through good management.
- Fire risk assessments – brief guide.
- Extinguishers – colour coding, what each extinguisher is used for, which extinguishers not to use for certain types of fires. – Practical session – if requested
A certificate of attendance is issued on completion of the course.